Sunday, May 30, 2010

13.1 to Coney Island








I ran my first half marathon last weekend. The Brooklyn Half Marathon starts at Prospect Park in Brooklyn and finishes on Coney Island. All of us ran on our own, but it was fun to all be together to support and encourage one another and to party after. Cara Newman, Amber Dalzen, Sam and Genevieve Brown all ran too! Nate came with Ryan who was watching Xela. She is such a pumpkin! We hungout on the beach for a while and the boys jumped in the freezing ocean (Crazies!). It was an overcast day and the race began at 7 am. This meant we had to leave before 5am to get to Brooklyn. I didn't sleep the night before. Between homework and anticipation, my mind would simply not shut off. The first few miles of the race I kept thinking about how I didn't sleep, but I finally got in the groove after a bit of a chaotic start. Let's just say we had to sprint to the start and the finish! Right before I started I realized that my I-Pod didn't sync my playlist. I ran without music for the last half of the race. I learned a lot of things for the next one. To name a few: A) get rest, B) don't carry anything (jacket, phone, etc.), C) make sure music is ready to go ahead of time. Now I just need to keep running!! Dustin and Melissa have been my running buddies from the beginning. If it weren't for them I probably wouldn't have trained consistently. Thank you D & M!! I was thrilled when Melissa was game to train and run together back in November. They're moving really soon and running in the park won't be the same without them.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...