Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Words of Wisdom

"I have never complained because I know it was His will. I have never asked why but rather what is it that He wants me to learn from this experience. I believe that is a good way to face the unpleasant things in our lives, not complaining but thanking the Lord for the trust He places in us when He gives us the opportunity to overcome difficulties."


This quote comes from the following talk by Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostle for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

This is applicable at this time on so many levels. I'm just trying to focus on all the good I've been given, stop complaining, and start thanking Heavenly Father more for the trust he places in me to overcome difficulties. I could easily (and have easily) got caught up in all the things that are hard or bothersome about our current situation. However, I realize that in so doing I'm only wasting needless time and energy that I should be expending on my sweet family! It is a choice, and I'm trying really hard to choose to focus on the things that matter most, to be ultra patient, and to love every second of my newborn.

The best advice I've been given thus far as a mom came from my dear cousin Nichole in St. Louis. She wrote to me and said:

The best thing anyone ever said to me when I was sleep deprived "I know, I feel sorry for you". It was the best words anyone could have said to me, just to understand. These last 3 weeks seem a lot longer than they really are. Nobody can prepare you for how quicky she'll grow. I used to hate hearing that, but it's so true. I think that's why our parents/grandparents have so much patience because they understand. Even though being up on and off all night long (and lets not kid ourselves, even when you're "sleeping" you're not really sleeping) enjoy this time with her. Every now and then when you're holding her stop and take a mental picture of how small she is, what she smells like and what she feels like in your arms. Believe it or not....you won't remember most of these day.....take the mental picture. Kiss that sweet little doll for me and uh huh yourself to.
xoxo

For her honesty and sincere words I am truly grateful. I'm trying to do what she said by taking mental pictures of my little Eliza. I can't believe how big she has already gotten. I know that this time will pass too quickly. Part of me wants it to pass quickly so that busy season will be over for Nate and we can eventually move into our own place, but then the other part of me just wants to pause time and keep Eliza little forever. I know that there is so much good to come and watching her grow up will bring great joy. I'm just trying to take in everything I can right now so that hopefully I do remember some of these days...the good ones and the hard ones. I'm cherishing my baby girl and these sleepless nights! We welcome Nate home in the wee hours and see him off the next morning with a wink of sleep.  We're making our headquarters of Nate's parents home our little sanctuary. This is life as we know it currently!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...